Please note that the admission to study at JGU does not automatically include a room in a student dormitory!

Therefore, it is necessary that you look for accomodation in Mainz long before you arrive at JGU. Usually, dormitory rooms are cheaper than private accommodations, and they are furnished (normally, apartments in Germany are rented without furniture).

Tip: During semester break, all dorms are open, therefore, you do not have to look for accommodation during holidays!

Studierendenwerk Mainz

You can apply for a dormitory room at the department “Studentisches Wohnen” (student living) of the “Studierendenwerk Mainz”.

The Studierendenwerk is not part of the University of Mainz; rather it is an independent institution. Therefore, the International Office has no influence on the distribution of rooms!

There are several student dormitories in Mainz with furnished rooms (shared bathrooms and kitchens), studio apartments and two-bedroom apartments renting at different rates. On your dorm application, you can state your preference for particular dorms and room types.

You will find the “Application Form for a Room / Apartment as INTERNATIONAL Student” which lists the deadlines for turning in the application as well as important information on the homepage of Service International Students (SIS) of Studierendenwerk Mainz.

Please send your dorm application and two passport pictures directly to the “Studierendenwerk Mainz” (the address is on the form).

Please keep in mind that there is no guarantee for a room. In general, the sooner an application is turned in, the better your chances of getting a dorm room.


For a comfortable room not too far from the university, students can expect to pay a monthly rent of around EUR 200 to 300. Based on past experience, demand for rooms is usually particularly high at the start of the winter semester. We recommend arranging your accommodation as soon as possible. University halls of residence offer relatively cheap accommodation costing EUR 150 to 220 monthly. Halls of residence are also an excellent place to meet new people, particularly for students starting their first semester.

Searching for apartments and rooms on the private housing market

See the notice boards on the university campus, especially for available rooms in shared flats: near the student canteen in the Philosophicum (Jakob-Welder-Weg 18), the ReWi-Haus (Jakob-Welder-Weg 9), SB II (Colonel-Kleinmann-Weg 2)

Accommodation bureaus, particularly for sublets:

  • Student Union
    rooms or flats offered by private landlords to students are posted in a display case at the Student Union (Mon-Thur, 8.30 am-4.00 pm; Fri 8.30 am-12.30 pm). This is located at entrance C of the Student Union Center at Staudingerweg 21.
  • General Students’ Committee (AStA)
  • accommodation exchanges (you will find the addresses in the telephone book and on the Internet, see link opposite)

You can also conduct a targeted search online for the kind of accommodation that you require. The links opposite will provide you with a representative selection of search options.

Listings in local newspapers:

If you need somewhere to live for a short period while searching for accommodation, you could consider options such as the Youth Hostel Mainz.

Student halls of residence

There is no point in submitting your application for a room in a student hall of residence until you have actually been granted a place on a course at Mainz. You will need to present your matriculation certificate at the time of moving in, at the latest.

Residences managed by non-commercial organizations:

Residences managed by commercial organizations:

  • Vegis (797 rooms in four halls of residence)
  • Schöfmann private student residence (25 rooms) Address: Backhaushohl 43, D-55128 Mainz, Tel. +49 6131 222085

Registration with the Mainz authorities

Once you’ve moved in, you will need to register with the public administration office (“Bürgeramt”). You will also need to re-register if you change accommodation within Mainz.