For a comfortable room not too far from the university, students can expect to pay a monthly rent of around EUR 350,-- to 500,--. Based on past experience, demand for rooms is usually particularly high at the start of the winter semester. We recommend arranging your accommodation as soon as possible. University halls of residence offer relatively moderately priced accommodation costing EUR 300,-- to 450 monthly,--. Halls of residence are also an excellent place to meet new people, particularly for students starting their first semester. You are guaranteed a dorm room if you  are an international student  who gained the qualifications for university entrance not in Germany. You qualify AFTER Admission Independent whether you are a degree seeking student or an exchange student.

Searching for apartments and rooms on the private housing market

See the notice boards on the university campus, especially for available rooms in shared flats: near the student canteen in the Philosophicum (Jakob-Welder-Weg 18), the ReWi-Haus (Jakob-Welder-Weg 9), SB II (Colonel-Kleinmann-Weg 2)

Accommodation bureaus, particularly for sublets:

  • Student Union Dormitories
    rooms or flats offered by private landlords to students are posted in a display case at the Student Union (Mon-Thur, 8.30 am-4.00 pm; Fri 8.30 am-12.30 pm). This is located at entrance C of the Student Union Center at Staudingerweg 21.
  • General Students' Committee (AStA)
  • accommodation exchanges (you will find the addresses in the telephone book and on the Internet, see link opposite)

You can also conduct a targeted search online for the kind of accommodation that you require. The links opposite will provide you with a representative selection of search options.

Listings in local newspapers:

If you need somewhere to live for a short period while searching for accommodation, you could consider options such as the Youth Hostel Mainz.

Student halls of residence

There is no point in submitting your application for a room in a student hall of residence until you have actually been granted a place on a course at Mainz. You will need to present your matriculation certificate at the time of moving in, at the latest.

Residences managed by non-commercial organizations:

Residences managed by commercial organizations:

  • Vegis (797 rooms in four halls of residence)
  • Schöfmann private student residence (25 rooms) Address: Backhaushohl 43, D-55128 Mainz, Tel. +49 6131 222085


Registration with the Mainz authorities

Once you've moved in, you will need to register with the public administration office ("Bürgeramt"). You will also need to re-register if you change accommodation within Mainz.