A doctorate is an independent research project, in which the doctoral student is supported by a supervisor.
It consists of two parts:
- completion of a dissertation or doctoral thesis (comprehensive academic paper) presenting the research methods and results
- an oral examination.
Both parts must be completed successfully to obtain a doctoral degree. Doctorates usually take 3-4 years to complete.
Mainz University offers different types of doctorates:
- Individual doctorate under the guidance of a supervisor only
- Structured doctorate with additional integration into a structured training program:1. Such programs are offered by the following at JGU: A Graduate School as part of the German federal and federal state Excellence Initiative
2. 10 Research Training Groups
3. An international doctoral program
4. Two Max Planck Research
5. A list of all structured programs with links to their respective home pages can be found here.