Courses of Study conducted in a language other than German
If your course of study allows you to study and complete your exams in a language other than German, you may apply for an exemption from the DSH at the Internationales Studien- und Sprachenkolleg (ISSK) at JGU (Deutsch als Fremdsprache).
You will receive the application form for the Befreiungsbescheinigung with the letter of admission from JGU Mainz.
Studying WITHOUT a preparatory German course
If you apply to study without a preparatory German course - i.e. you choose a degree and subject in the online application - you need to submit the following certificates:
- officially certified proof of German language proficiency at the advanced level, i.e. completed level C 1. Before enrolment you have to pass the DSH-2 exam.
- an officially certified copy of the passed DSH-2-exam or an equivalent
The following are recognized as equivalent of a passed DSH-2:
- das deutsche Abitur
- the Deutsche Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz - Stufe II (DSD II)
- the Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (GDS)
- the Österreichische Sprachdiplom (ÖSD) - C1
- TestDaF with the result 4 x 4 or better (2 x 5 and 2 x 4 or better). Please notice: the result 4 x 4 is sufficent for enrollment but we recommend strongly to attend further German courses in order to ensure successful study. Recommended result to study successfully is 2 x 5 and 2 x 4 or better
- the exam from the preparatory course (Feststellungsprüfung) of a German preparatory college (Studienkolleg) [see chapter German Language Test])
Studying WITH a preparatory German course
If you apply for studies with a preparatory German course - i.e. you choose the subject "Deutschkurs" in the online application - you need to submit the following certificate:
- officially certified proof of German language proficiency: completed level B 1. Language certificates will only be accepted if they are not older than 1 year.
Studying with a preparatory course (Studienkolleg)
- officially certified proof of German language proficiency: completed level B 2. Language certificates will only be accepted if they are not older than 1 year.